Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy 4th of July from Ireland


        Things are starting to pick up here in Swords Ireland. During my last month, I have had the opportunity to build some great relationships around the church and in swords. Within the 1st week I was here, I had a youth ask to meet up, to simply hang out. We walked all around swords and played some futbol. (More like just kicked it to each other). I’ve also started to build relationships with the leaders of the church like the lead pastor here. He has been such a blessing in understanding how God is working here in Ireland. From what I can understand so far the people of Ireland have a deep wound from the teachings from the Church here. Being a form of Christianity that builds on the foundation of a works based theology the people here have been placed under an extraordinary burden. They were taught that they have to do in order to receive salvation. At the same time, the church here has been ravished by scandals. First in the early 2000s the sex abuse scandals that ravished New England were also taking place here, which greatly damaged the image of the church here. Then when I arrived the church was hit with another scandal where at one of the single mother home run by the church where they discovered many children that died and did not notify the government or anyone. This one particularly took place in the 1920s and 1930s. Also, upon seeing the image the church portrays here and conversations I have had with people, I am beginning to see where God is working here in Ireland and the kinds of people he has been using to bring His glory to Ireland.
         
              One of the conversations about the church here in Ireland took place actually where I got a hair cut. The shop, no joke for your Americans, is “Boston Barber Bars” it is similar to sports clips where it is promoted to cut men’s hair. While we were talking he noticed my accent was not a local one so he asked me where I am from. I said Texas, He said he always wanted to visit America but never had the opportunity. Then he asked why I was here in Ireland. I told him I was here to help out a church off of Feltrim road, which for him was a bit odd. He asked me if there was anything wrong with the church, which I said no, but that I was here simply to help with whatever they needed. He was really nice about it. He went on to tell me how all the priests around the area in Swords and the ones he preferred where the ones that did not instantly condemn his choice of lifestyle and could have a normal conversation with them. I thought that was fascinating, this man who thought I was catholic likes to talk with people who are more interested with him than ones that simply condemn him. John 13:35 does states “By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” And I have not seen the verse where we are told to condemn a person for their sin. Obviously God hates any sin but Christ did not come to condemn the world but came in order to save it, to redeem it. My favorite part of the conversation with the Barber was when he told me of his family trip to a church in Argentina. While at the church his father’s wallet was picked and the found the person still in the church. When the confronted him, they heard the priest say, “Give him a good punch” the man dropped the wallet and ran out. They asked the priest why he didn’t say turn the other cheek or something. He said, “ Yes, I normally would say turn the other cheek but sometimes, there are those people who need a good punch.” The man said he loved that type of priest who was simply a normal person who did not try to place himself over others. I’ve loved to meet some of these non-Christian Irish people. They are a hospitable group who are very proud that they are Irish.
Me and Holly at Donabate Beach
          
             Recently, another short term TEAM Serve missionary has arrived on the field and 2 more arriving in the next week. It’s nice to have another person here to see things in Ireland and engage the local area. It’s been great doing it alone but so much better with another. The first day here, we went to the beach in Donabate, Ireland and helped walk the dog of the TEAM missionary here. I love that dog; She actually followed me a bit as I ran on the beach. I have always dreamed of a dog running along with me on the beach and was thrilled Holly ran with me. Also, yesterday I showed the short termer around Swords Ireland from the Pavilion to Swords Main Street, to the Cock Tavern to Swords Castle and then to the supermarket called JC’s.

This country of Ireland is amazing and I have fallen in love with everything I have seen around me. These people are such an amazing group of people who do not yet know who Christ is. With a country whose history is associated with Christianity, (not a pure form but still with Christ) to have so many have 0 knowledge of the Bible and Jesus and God is showing me what kinds of ways to do ministry here long term. I’m looking forward to seeing how God is going to be using me this next few weeks before I return to the United States. I love that I have been here now about a month and a half but hate that I now have less than a month left here. But I know God has a greater plan for me in the time to come.

Cheers



Prayer Requests
During your time through out the day, please keep the following requests in your prayers…

People: Graham, Linda, Jesse, Joanne, Joyce, Nathan, Jonny, Shelby, Robyn, Tim, Leah, Seth, Bill, Julia, Mick, Cian, Luke, Stephen, Clem, Valerie, David, Nialle, Rose, Keith, Fidela, Hazel, Eric, Donna, Ian, Ciaran, Rebekah, Pablo, Daniel, Dave, Dennis, M. Murphy, Esther, Igor, Alan, Davy, Yuri, James, Sylvia, Stacy, the Irish and Me.

Places/Orgs: SBC, Exodus, TEAM, GEM, Men’s Space, Impact, TeenStreet

Please continue to pray for our kids club, which is in 2 weeks as we minister to the kids of Swords through 5 stories of Jesus from Matthew.

Please pray for God to continue allow me to be sensitive to the Irish and the way he is working here in Ireland.

Please pray for my trip to the village of Trim as I meet with a former DTS student to see how God is working over there.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment